What is the REACH Substance Restricted List?
Certain substances are restricted from being manufactured, marketed, or used across the EU by REACH Annex XVII, also known as the restricted substances list.
Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals or REACH (EC 1907/2006) is a safety regulation that was implemented by the European Union (EU) to prevent the use of certain toxic chemical substances in products manufactured, sold, and imported within the EU.
The regulation aims to improve the protection of human health and the environment through better and earlier detection of harmful chemical substances.
Certain substances are restricted from being manufactured, marketed, or used across the EU by REACH Annex XVII, also known as the restricted substances list. Whether they are authorized or not, these substances are deemed to pose a substantial risk to human health and the environment.
The European Chemical Agency (ECHA) first identifies potentially hazardous substances named “Substances of Very High Concern” (SVHC) at the request of member states or the European Commission. Confirmed hazardous substances or SVHCs, are then added to the Candidate List.
A restriction may apply to any substance on its own, in a mixture, or in an article, including those that do not require registration, for example, substances manufactured or imported below one ton per year or certain polymers.
On-site isolated intermediates, substances used in scientific research and development, and substances only posing risks to human health from their use in cosmetics are exempted from those substances to which REACH restriction applies.
Annex XVII to REACH includes all the restrictions adopted in the framework of REACH and the previous legislation, Directive 76/769/EEC. Currently, that includes 71 entries some of which are listed below:
- Azocolourants and Azodyes (entry 43)
- Polycyclic-aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) (entry 50)
- Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid and its derivatives (PFOS) (entry 53, deleted in 2010 and subject to EU POPs regulation now.)
- Phthalates (entries 51 and 52)
- Cadmium and its compounds (entry 23)
- Nickel and its compounds (entry 27)
- Lead and its compounds (entry 63)
- Mercury and its compounds (entry
- Chromium VI compounds (entry 47)
- Arsenic compounds (entry 19)
- CMR 1A/1B substances listed in Annex VI of CLP regulation (28, 29, 30)
- Nonylphenol and nonylphenol ethoxylates (entry 46)
- Organostannic compounds (entry 20)
- Hazardous solvents (benzene, cyclohexane, trichlorobenzene, chloroform, etc.);
- Bisphenol A (entry 66, added in Dec 2016)
- decaBDE (entry 67, added in Feb 2017)
- PFOA, its salts, and PFOA-related substances (entry 68, added in June 2017)
- D4 and D5 (entry 70, added in Jan 2018)
- Methanol (entry 69, added in April 2018)
- 1-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) (entry 71, added in April 2018)
- CMR substance in textile and footwear (entry 72, added in Oct 2018)
- Barium diboron tetraoxide
- tetrabromophthalate covering any of the individual isomers and/or combinations thereof
- Isobutyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
- Perfluoroheptanoic acid and its salts
- reaction mass of 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropan-2-yl)morpholine
The substances that are exempted from REACH regulations include:
- Radioactive substances.
- Substances in temporary storage under customs supervision.
- The transport of hazardous substances.
- Substances used in the interest of defense.
- Non-isolated intermediates.
- Waste, but not products recovered from waste.
The latest consolidated version of REACH Restricted Substances can be found HERE.
The Z2Data Solution
Z2data’s integrated platform is a holistic data-driven supply chain risk management solution, bringing data intelligence for your engineering, sourcing, supply chain and compliance management, ESG strategist, and business leadership. Enabling intelligent business decisions so you can make rapid strategic decisions to manage and mitigate supply chain risk in a volatile global marketplace and build resiliency and sustainability into your operational DNA.
Our proprietary technology augmented with human and artificial Intelligence (Ai) fuels essential data, impactful analytics, and market insight in a flexible platform with built-in collaboration tools that integrates into your workflow.